History of the Opera House in a nutshell – what you should know
The Hungarian State Opera opened its doors to the public in 1884, at the time still under the name Hungarian Royal Opera House. Before this, Pest-Buda audiences attended musical dramatic performances at the National Theatre, but following the Austro-Hungarian Compromise of 1867, the city started to develop and that theatre was no longer equipped to fulfil this role. The Opera House has enjoyed unbroken popularity since its construction, which is no wonder as it has set the bar very high in terms of both acoustics and visuals. The level of acoustics is outstanding even by European standards, and one of the greatest architects in Hungarian history, Miklós Ybl, was responsible for construction. As far as the building's interior is concerned, renowned Hungarian artists such as Mór Than, Károly Lotz and Bertalan Székely were involved in creating the richly decorated spaces. Thus, it comes as no surprise that the Opera House, with its spectacular visuals and extensive repertoire effortlessly sweeps the genre’s aficionados off their feet.