A café was not simply a catering outlet, but the centre of social life and the meeting place for the intelligentsia. It is no coincidence that the Revolution of 1848 also started from a café, but a café was also the place where the legendary magazine Nyugat was founded. By the turn of the 19th to 20th centuries, there were about 500 cafés in the city. However, after World War II, café culture began to decline rapidly, with most of the venues frequented by the middle classes closed down. Nevertheless, today many legendary historic cafés have returned to their old splendour. An entire book would be too short to list all of them, but we can show you the most important ones.
This opulent café located in Vörösmarty tér was opened by Henrik Kugler in 1858, and was later taken over by Emil Gerbeaud. This place – which combines all the advantages of a confectionery and a café – operated under the name Vörösmarty from 1948 to 1984, but has now been given the name Gerbeaud back, and represents Hungarian café culture on many prestigious international top lists.