The history of one of the best-known hiking trails of Hungary dates back to 1930. This is when the idea of creating unified tourist signage was born. The direction and the two endpoints of the trail, Hollóháza and Írott-kő were also set out. Only a few people are aware that according to the original plan, the hiking trail crossing the northern parts of Hungary would have been red, but considering the previous signage of the trail it was ultimately decided that it would be blue. The establishment of the national trail produced a tourist trail that covers the majority of the country’s natural and historical assets. The works were often hindered by the fact that due to private and hunting zones being impacted, agreements had to be entered into and certain connection points had to be modified. The Hungarian Blue Trail was finally inaugurated in 1938 – on the 900th anniversary of the death of Saint Stephen – with the launch of a jubilee hike. The event gained fame as the Saint Stephen Wandering. That year, 16 hikers were awarded with the gold-plated commemorative medal acknowledging their 18-day hiking performance.